Friday, September 19, 2014

New Adult in the Library Journal

Something very cool happened to me a while back...I was interviewed about my thoughts on the New Adult (NA) genre. I was actually quoted in a Library Journal article! To read the article in the Library Journal, click the picture above. 

Not much of what I responded to in the interviewer questions wasn't in the article so I plan to post my answers to the blog over the next few weeks. Here's the first part of my interview...a little about myself, the library I work at and how I feel about NA.

A little about myself and the library I work at...

My name is Carolyn Borgen and I work part-time as a library aide at the New Ulm Public Library. When not working at the library I’m a part-time stay-at-home mom and avid reader.

Our library is located in New Ulm, MN. Our town’s population is about 13,000. We are a part of the Traverse des Sioux Library Cooperative. This allows us to easily trade books with libraries in our system, which is especially helpful in the NA genre.

How do I define NA?

I would define NA books as books that feature college-aged women or women who are recently out of college dealing with mature situations. I would go further and say that I would define the NA genre as how the female heroes are defined…women who are faced with mature situations and self-discovery have a strong sense of self and self-worth.

More about the wonderful book group I get to facilitate for the NA genre at our library...

We have a small but dedicated group who are involved in the NA book group that meets monthly. We like to explore “what is NA” and determine if the books we read fall into this category. So far, we have read Easy by Tammara Webber, Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire, Real by Katy Evans, The Fault In Our Stars by John Green, Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, Losing It by Cora Carmack, Connected by Kim Karr, True Love by Jude Deveraux, and Fallen Too Far by Abbi Glines.

I'll post more on my thought about NA and our library in the upcoming weeks. I hope you enjoy the article in the Library Journal. It's a wonderful read!

No comments:

Post a Comment