Sunday, February 23, 2014

Trust in Me by J. Lynn


"It’s Wait for You as you’ve never seen it. Trust in Me lets you in on Cam’s side of the #1 New York Times Bestselling story.

Cameron Hamilton is used to getting what he wants, especially when it comes to women. But when Avery Morgansten comes crashing into his life – literally – he finally meets the one person who can resist his soulful baby blues. But Cam’s not ready to give up. He can’t get the feisty and intriguing girl out of his head.

Avery has secrets, secrets that keep her from admitting the feelings Cam knows she has for him. Will persistence (and some delicious homemade cookies) help him break down her barriers and gain her trust? Or will he be shut out of Avery's life, losing his first real shot at the kind of love that lasts forever?" (Description from Goodreads.com)


When I first read Wait for You by J. Lynn, I was on the fence about it. I liked it but didn't love it. I first discovered the book on the New York Times Bestseller and wanted to see what the fuss was all about. Maybe it was because I read a ton of books at the tine that had the same type of synopsis...hurt girl not looking for love (and scared of it) finds guy who's awesome. For some reason, it just didn't stick with me.

When Trust in Me came out, I wanted to see if it could change my mind. I have found that by reading a different POV, it gives me a better understanding of what was going on and a whole new appreciation to the story. I'm so glad I gave this story a second chance! Trust in Me was everything I was hoping it would be. The story told from Cam's POV helped make so many things that happened in Wait for You clear.

First and foremost, Cam is a total sweetheart. Maybe not in his time before Avery but you can tell from reading his POV that he's a changed man with her. I loved his devolution to his family and sister. His respect for Avery as well was a nice thing to read. He knew something happened but to Avery but not the what/who/why. He still respected the walls she kept throwing at him and with grace!

When reading Wait for You, you understand why Avery is so skittish. Well, to a point, before her secret is revealed. You know she doesn't trust me and while reading her POV, it felt like I was truly reading a POV from a survivor. Which is great writing but sometimes can be hard on your on soul, feeling for the character and hurting when she makes mistakes she doesn't intend to make because of her experiences. With Trust in Me, you see Cam struggle with the her mistakes as well but with an understanding that something has happened and to be patient.

I also loved reading about his two good friends and their relationship. It's not something you always get to read in a book, a great friendship between two or three guys with complete understanding of each other. One of the best lines in the book (not a direct quote) was when Avery showed up to a party and Cam was enjoying watching her have fun, "I'm going to marry that girl one day." Said so simply and completely threw his friends. It was sweet and laugh out loud funny.

I typically don't tell people to read books out of order, but for this one I just might. If reading from a survivor's point of view can be heavy on your soul as well, I would suggest starting with Trust in Me. Then read Wait for Me. We all get the same Happy Ever After but from a different POV first and with hope going into Avery's POV. The third book in this series Be with Me, a story about Cam's sister and friend Teresa and Jase. I'm currently waiting for the library to get their copy cataloged so I can continue to read this great NA series.

All books for this series are available at our local library, make sure to check out your own local library to see if they have a copy as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment