Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Brooke (Under the Never Sky #2.5) by Veronica Rossi


Set just before the events of Into the Still Blue, the conclusion to Veronica Rossi's Under the Never Sky trilogy, this breathtaking novella is a satisfying stand-alone for new readers as well as an exciting glimpse at favorite characters from the trilogy. Pulsing with romance and danger, Brooke will leave readers desperate for the conclusion to this epic and unforgettable saga.

The only fight she can't win is the one for Perry's heart. Following the stunning climax in Through the Ever Night, the Tides have been forced to seek shelter from the Aether storms in a dismal, secluded cave. But Brooke's memories of the cave go back much further, to when she and Perry used to come here together. That was before Perry fell in love with Aria and before Vale's dealings with the Dwellers altered the course of the Tides forever.

Now, with her sister back from a haunting year in captivity and Aria lying unconscious in the sick bay, Brooke struggles to put the pieces of her life back together. Without Perry, who is she? And what is her role in this frightening new world? As these questions swirl about her, an old threat to the Tides resurfaces, and Brooke is forced to put the lives of her people before her own. But in taking this step outside of herself, Brooke may finally discover what she truly wants.

******

I am a huge fan of Veronica Rossi's Under the Never Sky series. The YA series is a three-part book series with two novella's as well. From start to finish, Rossi did an amazing job of telling Aria and Perry's story along with a great set of friends and foes. The novella's cover fan favorite Roar under the title Roar & Liv and then Brooke. (You can read my review of the Under the Never Sky here.)

If you haven't read the series, I would suggest starting with the first book Under the Never Sky and skipping this review. I would hate to influence your feelings on Brooke or other central characters. Plus, I don't want to give anything away that would take from the story.

After that disclaimer I can now come out and say, I was never of fan of Brooke. Honestly, she made it hard for me to like her. Maybe it was because I was seeing her from Aria and Perry individual POVs. Or maybe she was built that way as a character after she lost Liv and her sister all in the same year. I don't want to say she lost Perry because I feel she only had him as a friend and that relationship will survive the changes over time.

As we begin to read her POV, we learn how angry and upset she is by the actions of the last two book. Hearing about Perry and the rest of the gang from her POV made me understand her issues with Aria. More importantly, what I liked is watching Brooke develop as a character over the course of the novella. Looking at her feelings for Perry and being able to understand that what she had was friendship that won't change. Understanding her distress of losing Liv and her sister and how she wants to protect what she loves the most, her family and the clan.

Finally, I loved the ARC with the three brother's from the Six. The last thing said to the youngest brother was the best line of the entire book. Laugh out loud funny. Reading Brooke made me want to go back and re-read the entire series again. One of the many things that Rossi inspires in me as a writer.

I was lucky enough to download my copy to my Kindle from our public library through OverDrive. Make sure to check you local library to see if they have a digital copy to loan. This novella is only available online.

No comments:

Post a Comment