Sunday, March 23, 2014

Be with Me by J. Lynn


"Teresa Hamilton is having a rough year—she’s in love with her big brother’s best friend, but he hasn’t spoken to her since they shared a truly amazing, mind-blowing, change-your-life kiss. She got out of a terrible relationship. And now an injury is threatening to end her dance career for good. It’s time for Plan B – college. And maybe a chance to convince Jase that what they have together is real.

Jase Winstead has a huge secret that he’s not telling anyone. Especially not his best friend’s incredibly beautiful sister. Even though he and Teresa shared the hottest kiss of his life, he knows that his responsibilities must take priority. He certainly doesn’t have time for a relationship. But it doesn’t help that all he can think about kissing the one girl who could ruin everything for him.

As they’re thrown together more and more, Jase and Tess can’t keep denying their feelings for each other. But a familiar danger looms and tragedy strikes. As the campus recovers, the star-crossed couple must decide what they’re willing to risk to be together, and what they’re willing to lose if they’re not…" (Description from Goodreads.com)


Be with Me is the third book in the Stay with Me series. Really it's #2 but the 1.5 book was so good that I count it as it's own and not a 1/2 of the first book. I'll be the first to admit that I didn't get the craze at first for the series...which I'm sure you read in my review of Trust in Me and how that book pointed me toward why the series was so popular. At this point if I had any misgivings or you do, I would throw them away and pick up Be with Me. Really, the book was that good. So good that I couldn't put it down. 

We start off with Theresa (Tess) recovering from her knee operation and at college, somewhere she didn't expect to be since she was a prima ballerina. One bad landing and her knee was blown but hopefully not for long...

I'll pause a moment here to tell you a little about myself and why I connected with this book so much. A long time ago I was also a dancer and blew my knee running track. I remember the moment when they told me I would be lucky to dance again let alone walk normal. It was devastating because I soon learned that I was accepted into a production of the Nutcracker ballet for pointe (fancy way to say dancing on your toes). I remember the knee pain and I remember thinking I would never walk right again.  I was one of the lucky ones, I had a miracle worker as a doctor and with lots of PT, I was able to make my way back to sports and dance. I would never be the graceful dancer I once was but I was thankful I wasn't completely shut out.

So, going in to this book, I somewhat lived what Tess had. I understood the lows and the pain. I have to say that J. Lynn nailed it when describing Tess's feelings and pains and struggles. So much that I started having symphony pain in my own knee. Three days of creaking and cracking and limping all due to this wonderfully written book.

Now back to the book...Tess has had a crush on Jase for years. Maybe at one time it was a school girl crush, looking at a guy as a white knight who came to save her brother's sanity. Over the course of the book, you  see her develop strong feelings and emotions to Jase. (And who doesn't love the name Jase? Some of my favorite books have that name in it.)

Jase has his own set of problems and woes, never revealing them but to his family and Cam. Trying to get him to open up is like watching someone open a tuna can with a knife and nothing else. It was frustration and mind boggling. But when he did open up at different times it was well worth the wait. 
When they finally come together for good, you feel like it was well worth the wait.

Of course there is drama (drama llama as Tess would say) and several ARCS happening in the story. This story felt more real world that other books that I have read. Real situations that people face and wonder how do you help to get them out, how to be the right balance of friend and protector? I really liked that this book addresses abuse and not just physical but emotional as well.

I can easily say, without a doubt, that this book is my favorite so far in the series. The next book will in September and is called Stay with Me. You'll have to excuse me while I place it on my Goodreads list and fan girl over the upcoming book. Happy reading everyone!






No comments:

Post a Comment