Sunday, March 30, 2014

Better off Friends by Elizabeth Eulberg


"For Macallan and Levi, it was friends at first sight. Everyone says guys and girls can’t be just friends, but these two are. They hang out after school, share tons of inside jokes, their families are super close, and Levi even starts dating one of Macallan’s friends. They are platonic and happy that way.

Eventually they realize they’re best friends — which wouldn’t be so bad if they didn’t keep getting in each other’s way. Guys won’t ask Macallan out because they think she’s with Levi, and Levi spends too much time joking around with Macallan, and maybe not enough time with his date. They can’t help but wonder . . . are they more than friends or are they better off without making it even more complicated?

From romantic comedy superstar Elizabeth Eulberg comes a fresh, fun examination of a question for the ages: Can guys and girls ever really be just friends? Or are they always one fight away from not speaking again — and one kiss away from true love?" (Description from Goodreads.com)


If I had to describe this book with one word, I would use AMAZING! The book from start to finish was just amazing. Of course, I've come to expect that from Eulberg since I first read the Lonely Hearts Club (still one of my favorite YA books out there). 

I was currently reading a lot of New Adult and Fiction books with very heavy, serious matter. I'll make a side dialog to say that YA can and does handle very serious topics. I hate when people put down YA because it's main audience is for "teens". I haven't seen my teen years in a long time and I love YA. Honestly, I feel YA does a better job of explaining the world and issues better than some "serious" fiction books out there. Now, off my soap box, I was reading books about abuse survivors (see Axel review) and I needed a breather. Something fresh that made me feel all gooey inside. A love story. A story that wasn't non-stop drama that left you wondering how on earth did that cause a problem This book, this wonderfully awesome book, made me feel all gooey and happy inside.

Eulberg has this amazing talent to pull characters personalities out that you really make you feel like you're there experiencing the good and the bad, loving or hating or angsting with the main character. She also has a talent in creating thoughtful teens who are respectful of each other and their family. Well....about 90% of the time. Any friendship in the teen years can have drama and stress cause from inside and outside factors.

Like an onion this story has many layers  from friendships to relationships to family and dealing with the unthinkable (for one character). We're very lucky that this story was told in both Macallan and Levi POV. We also get snippets of the two characters between each chapter. I imagined these snippets were their future self's. The snippets was a surprising factor for me that made the book even better.

I could go on for paragraphs on the storyline and how true to high school life it felt. But I won't. I don't want to ruin the story for you or the surprises you find along the way. Just know that we first meet Macallan and Levi in the 7th grade and go through to Junior year. 

If you're looking for a amazing read that will leave you feeling better at the end of the story than this should be your next read. Now, fingers crossed that Eulberg loved the characters so much we might see a sequel one day. It's a complete story but I just loved these two characters so much I would love to read more about them. 

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment