Thursday, July 3, 2014

City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare


In this dazzling and long-awaited conclusion to the acclaimed Mortal Instruments series, Clary and her friends fight the greatest evil they have ever faced: Clary's own brother.

Sebastian Morgenstern is on the move, systematically turning Shadowhunter against Shadowhunter. Bearing the Infernal Cup, he transforms Shadowhunters into creatures out of nightmare, tearing apart families and lovers as the ranks of his Endarkened army swell.

The embattled Shadowhunters withdraw to Idris - but not even the famed demon towers of Alicante can keep Sebastian at bay. And with the Nephilim trapped in Idris, who will guard the world against demons?

When one of the greatest betrayals the Nephilim have ever known is revealed, Clary, Jace, Isabelle, Simon, and Alec must flee - even if their journey takes them deep into the demon realms, where no Shadowhunter has set foot before, and from which no human being has ever returned...

Love will be sacrificed and lives lost in the terrible battle for the fate of the word in the thrilling final installment of the classic urban fantasy series The Mortal Instruments!

*******

Honestly, there are only one word to describe this book...EPIC! From start to finish the whole book was epic. So epic that I had to put it down since I wasn't sleeping for wanting to know what happens. I had a music camp that I was playing in that week and really needed to be awake for. So epic that it took me a lot of time to read and finish. So epic I'm posting a picture of how big this book is below.


That's pretty epic...right along with Harry Potter in book height...two whole inches! 

I now going to make another Harry Potter reference. *Spoiler Alert* Do you remember when Neville was just a kid who could have been "the one". Instead he was scared of his own shadow. And over time he changed and gain confidence and became pretty darn important in the end. I loved that about Neville and his development. The same goes with Simon in this series. In the beginning he's a Mundane, a human and not worthy of the Shadowhunters. Then he shoots that big arrow and saves everyone. Drives the van and saves Alex. He started to become important outside of Clary. But who really thought Simon would save the world or the Shadowhunter or even the group? Not me and I love Simon. In the end, he was super important to the group and I look forward to learning what happen after this book ends for Simon.

The rest of the characters are amazing and I love how the story comes together for them. Especially, Clary and Jace. Their love is epic but never a love triangle and I appreciate that the most. The might have doubt in themselves or others but never in the other. I also loved how we got a lot of Easter eggs from the prequel series. Tess. Jem. Mangus thoughts on all of them. Just amazing and reminded me why I love this author and the books so much.

Now, I know some of you read book 5 and was like "Jace wasn't himself" or "it didn't feel like the other books". I think that was the point. Jace was possessed. Of course he wasn't himself and the writing showed that. This book was full on Jace as himself. More importantly, Jace matures and talks out his feelings to Clary. I really enjoyed that!

So, if you haven't read the last book in this series, it's well work the two inches of read. If you haven't read the series, this is a must read in the YA world...but don't judge it on the movie. As usual, the book is 10x better than the movie. Clare is one of my favorite YA writers and I now can't wait to read more books in this world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment