Saturday, August 9, 2014

Sing, Sing a Song

As you might have noticed, it's been a few days (or weeks) since I last posted. I went away to music camp for 8 days to become qualified to teach bass in the Suzuki method. While completing 30 hours of classroom time and 15 hours of observation, I didn't have much time for anything else. Oh, other than reading after a very long day. I managed to go through three books while there but no time to post. My daughter and husband also joined me for music camp and they had a blast. Only three hours of music a day for those two and lots of fun activities in the afternoons.

Then we came home and a cold started working through each member of the house. Needless to say, I'm now sick and cranky for being sick. But this does mean more reading time for me.

To make up for being gone so long, I thought I would do 'mini' post for the next two posts with the books I read while at missing in action. Hope you enjoy!



Beautiful Player by Christina Lauren

Beautiful Bastard is one of my all time favorite NA books. I love how strong Chloe is and how she's with Bennett. I love how attracted to each other the couple is. With every book in this series, the couple was unique and their own. Nothing was based on a formula. I loved that the most with this series. So, when I first read Beautiful Player, I was more in love than when I first started reading the series. Hanna and Will are prefect for each other. I like how we get to see the other two couple interact with Will and the jokes the boys play on each other. I love how will sits and waits for Hanna to date other people while he's secretly in love with her. There is great laughs and sexy time throughout the entire book. This was my second read of Beautiful Player. I used this book to read at night and to help my mind relax. Instead of humming tunes I heard and talked about all day, I was able to fall easily in the Beautiful world all over again. If you haven't read this series yet, I would insist that it's your next NA read. Warning...it's a very hot book!


The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness

This is the third book in the Discovery of Witches series. I've always been a huge fan of fantasy and when you combine vampires, witches, and daemon's...what's not to love. The series has always balanced a prefect line between history, lore, fantasy, and sexy. The third book was the best of them all, bringing everything together. And as Philippe says, "an ending is always a beginning." I sure hope this means we'll see more in this world from other characters. I can't name the one's I would like to see carry on the story without spoiling it. Trust me...it was epic and my favorites all came back in the end. If you like fantasy and stories with vampires, try this one out. The lore built throughout the book is amazing and a wonderful read!



Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

This was our August pick for our NA book club. Fangirl has such a unique voice. People either love it or hate it. I liked it. But any girl/boy can relate to the story of Cath, fan fiction writer waiting for her favorite series to come to an end with that one last book. Cough. Cough. Harry Potter. Cath is a fan fiction writer and a good/popular one at that. But Cath is also a freshman going off to college without the help of her twin. Learning how to be on your own at college can be very scary. Thank goodness for a kick butt roommate and a swoon worthy boy. With any good writer, when you finish a book wanting more story, you know they've done their job. I had questions. Lots of them. I wonder with Rowell left it that way so people could come up with their own fan fiction. What I loved about this book was the reminder of what it was like to wait for the last Harry Potter book. I think I told my husband "no questions or talking" while I read it. We even went to the mid-night release to pick it up. Lucky for me he was studying for the bar and needed the quite time as well. If you've been a fangirl, this book will be a great read for you.

And now I'm off to read my copy of Outlander. I watched the preview on Starz and LOVED it. I can't wait to read the book. I was warned that it was quite the sexy for for the 80's when it came out. I'm interested to see how it compares to books nowadays marketed that way. Happy reading!

PS. Sorry for any editorial mistakes. Just wrote this to get it up on the blog =P

No comments:

Post a Comment