Tuesday, January 7, 2014

A new year, a new attempt at this blog thing

It seems like almost two years ago I tried setting up a book blog after talking with fellow readers. And then it fell to the side with other less important things since I had a very busy job and a wonderful kid. My little girl, E, is a whirl wind in her own right and we started the “1000 Books Before Kindergarten” program at the same time. Needless to say, I read a lot of books and had little time to blog.

In those two years we actual read over 5000 books with E. Just amazing to see her read and grow during that time. A lot of things changed during that time as well. For one, I decided to leave the crazy job with busy hours and to spend more time with E. I was lucky enough to land a job as a library aide at our local library. Which I soon discovered was like giving drugs to an addict. Books, all free, there for me to read. These are my kind of people at the library!

Another thing happened in the last two years, I discovered the “new adult” genre and began reading it like crazy. The good, the bad and the ugly. You know what I’m talking about. The .99 special that has a great story idea but is in need of much editing. (Even though I can’t promise to be a great editor on my own stuff…sorry in advance.)

Before I worked at the library, I wanted to read 50 Shades #3 but in paper form and free from the library. I remember walking up to my soon to be boss and asking softly, “You wouldn’t happen to have that book. You know. Maybe not, I mean this is a library after all.” I was so embarrassed to ask about a “sexy” book in public, much less at the library. I soon learned there was no shame and judging. I became more open about the book I read and starting talking at the local salon and even less embarrassed. There’s no shame in reading a sexy book or a plain fiction book or even a YA book. Which I LOVE YA books.

So with this I begin my reading journey online. Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment